Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tobias" is a Greek version of the Hebrew biblical name "Tobijah", meaning "Jehovah [God] is good

I blog so much on “the little one” that I don’t want people to think I’m not paying attention to my sons. I love my sons greatly – so I’ll feature Tobias today.

Tobias is God’s gift to me as a reminder of compassion. This boy has a heart bigger than anyone I know. He forgives easily when wronged, is gentle and affectionate, while still a busy boy on the go. A Sunday School teacher once told me “Tobias has a heart of gold, there is something special with him” and I knew she “saw” what I see and can’t express with words very well. When I envision his future knowing his giving caring ways – I envision a Doctor, Nurse or Pastor. He is deep on his understanding and views of life around him – this 10 year old boy humbles me. When he prays from his heart – it is amazing and wonderful.

We received him into our lives on July 9, 1999 at 15 months of age. Skinny, scrawny, neglected, abused and unable to balance himself with eye issues – we loved him the minute we saw him and vowed to make his life better. Tobias has Duane’s Eye Syndrome and underwent one round of eye surgery in Feb of 2001. His left eye can’t go past center to the left. He is left handed like my husband and has always been skinny no matter how much he eats.

Tobias admires his older brother who is his best friend. The boys are 9 months, 12 days apart in birth and have a bonded relationship that is complex in my view. People still ask if they are twins – we’ve gotten these questions for years, (I’ve never seen their similarity in looks) I’ve always seen them as so different. Once after the 999,0000th person asked if they were twins Anthony asked me “Mom, when will we be twins?”

Tobias – he loves to read, loves cheese, loves basketball, loves to play with friends, loves to watch TV cartoons, loves to play DS when allowed, loves to travel to Canada and Colorado, loves soft animals, loves soft blankies (blankets), loves Jesus, loves his little sister he prayed for 4 years solid!

Last year Tobias wanted to see Santa at the mall – I thought they were too old but indulged them. For 4 years he’s asked Santa for a sister. Anthony was hesitant to go up (always has been) but Tobias drug him along. When they were done I asked Anthony what he’d asked Santa for – he said a Wii. Then I asked Tobias what he asked Santa for – he said “I asked him if he could make my Foster Sister my sister forever.” Right there in the mall – I bawled. Then I asked Tobias what the Santa had said and he told me he said “If I can’t do that, what else would you like?” Tobias answered a “Wii.” Sister – vs – Wii – same thing? Not. Too funny.

So – Tobias is my man of faith – his prayers have been answered and he knows God does answer prayer. Wishing you many answered prayers in your lives!

God’s words to Moses speak to Tobias Exodus 33:18-20 (New International Version) 18 Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory." 19 And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."

6 comments:

Dee said...

What a beautifully written post.You have given my heart a tender tug. You are so fortunate to have such loving hearted and beautiful children and they are blessed to have you as a mom. Dee

Blu-I'd-Blonde said...

This would make a great scrapbook page. I feel like I know Tobias now that I've read your heartwarming description of him. When Tobias reads it he will certainly know he's loved.

Doug and Terrye said...

How precious! You gave me something to have sweet dreams about tonight.

Terrye in FL

Becky said...

Lovely post.... Yor son sounds like quite a gentleman...I bet his paents had a little bit to do with that.

Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

Tears are forming within my eyes! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful boy with us your readers! He is a gift to this world!

Lana@The Kids Did WHAT?! said...

I know this is an old post, but I was just reading through your blog.
Tobias asking santa to make his foster sister into his forever sister brought tears to my eyes. That warm fuzzy mommy cry. So sweet.

I've actually been reading your blog backwards, and thought until this post that the boys were twins! They look very similar! (In my opinion, anyways. ☺)

Popular Posts