Monday, September 23, 2013

The Skinny Girl Talking in my Mirror

I was a skinny scrawny, long legged girl growing up.  See how “feminine” I’m standing in this circa '70’s family photo. Arms hanging, legs apart, 4-eye glasses….
Long, lean, sassy. I grew up hating being skinny. I was teased a lot by bullies – never grew any boobs until I was married to speak of. “Flat” was what they called me in school. Jokes like “Bet you wear skis when you shower so you don’t fall down the drain” and “stand sideways, stick out your tongue and you’d look like a zipper” etc. Everyone always commented on my skinniness and height.  I just wanted to be "normal" and blend. 
 
We lived on a farm in my teens and we all worked hard, ate what we grew and butchered chickens,  once in a while a hog. Gathered eggs from about 10,000 chickens by hand for hatching eggs. Work was never in a shortage on the farm. I babysat from young on, then got a job in the kitchen at the French nursing home nearby, moved on to a department store….always knew the ethics of work. We only drank pop for special occasions like Christmas and Easter we’d visit the “Pop Shoppe” in the city and get a case of black cherry pop and other flavors. It was a treat.
 
Fast forward 30 years of marriage, free to eat and do what I want, no one telling me no and a lifestyle of fast food and all the pop I can have whenever I want it. I enjoy food…especially cheese cake. J Oops….gained some weight. So when I'd look in the mirror, I’d know I was gaining and growing a pot (especially after my hysterectomy) but it wasn’t really bothering me. I had curves finally…..in the wrong places, but curves….so in the mirror, I still heard that skinny girl talking to me. I was just OK with me. 
So….I think I just woke up from a dream and some reality has come in. I’m fat. Sophia says that is a bad word and makes us use “pleasantly plump.”   Ok then, I’m “pleasantly plump.” I know what to do. Won’t be fun, but I’m giving up the pop, will cut back on sweets (got my sweet tooth from my Dad) and will drink more water as I should. I’m walking on nights Steve isn’t working. Goal #1 to drop 20 lbs in 60 days. I’ll let you know how I’m doing (maybe)….the pop craving is the worst. I miss my Coca Cola.  Maybe I won’t be skinny again, but I can get myself back into “healthier” at least. Wish me luck….pray for me against temptations...for they are everywhere!  Especially with a house full of teens that are skinny as can be....just like the girl in the mirror.  **wink**
 

1 comment:

Dee said...

I bet you where a pistol LOL...so cute. I was skinny too...no junk food...no extra snacks....and out and about on my bike all the time...what happened ? LOL I need to drop a lot more than 20 ...I am just afraid frank will find it. :)

Popular Posts