Friday, March 10, 2017

Reading. The Struggle is Real.

LD. Learning Disabled.  The label. The problem:  Reading.  She is SOOO smart, sensitive, caring and bright.  But READING is her most difficult task.  I must admit, this one gets me, I ache when I read with her – listening to her dissect EACH word, struggling so hard.  I die on the inside because I just want to help, but I know I can’t….giving her the words is the “cheat” she looks for me to do….I have to bite my tongue and NOT give in to the easiness of doing that.  She must learn on her own – how to break apart the word, and say EACH syllable separately to bring the word together.  It can happen quickly or agonizingly take minutes which feels like foever.  She can know it on one page and struggle with it a few sentences down…..the struggle is real.  This journey she must take, but sometimes I wish it was a little more fair and that she could read with fluency like she wants to soo bad. 

We’ve completed months of vision therapy, it has helped, but the corner isn’t turned completely – so we work on and on. 

So, doing nothing to help her is the hardest thing I have to do as a parent.  I sit there, and bite my tongue to not give in to telling her the words.  This, is our reading world with this precious child of God, created by Him – beautifully 9 and 3rd grade….

I pray for the patience to keep pushing the right amount – to wait and watch, hoping for that day she can sit and read a chapter book to herself like she sees her big sister doing…..and know that her love for books can be attained by her reading to herself.  Her night time ritual is Daddy reading chapter books to her – she demands it, waits for him if he is late….it is a ritual she has had for years.  Then I swoop in, read a short devotional to her and get all the cuddle, snuggle, tucking done…..my baby, my little girl is growing up…..but the ritual stays the same.  We've read to her since she was a baby....daily.

So, pray with me – lift her up as we work and work on the reading piece in her life.  The teacher / para support is awesome at school and we’ll hire the summer tutor again as well – time, practice and patience as it comes slowly…..God’s timing – always perfect, right?

No comments:

Popular Posts