Monday, February 23, 2009

Kansas has made me brown!

Years ago (I mean 20+) I attended business college with a gal who has become an awesome friend - at the time she was married to a man who provided her with a nice “ranch” styled home. When I’d visit her, I’d remark in my “observing” way that the entire house color scheme was “beige, neutral – brown!” I mean every room. After their marriage ended – she went on to live in other places and have “color” in her life of all sorts. (no hidden connotations meant!) Reds, blues, mauve's (yes that dates to the 80’s) and so forth – she now has sage and other wonderful hues of life colors in her home and work/hobby shop. I love her and I love the home she has made. She is a special friend – whom only special friends can “tease” in that way which takes us down memory lane.

When I drive around, the most common color of houses in Kansas – is BROWN, neutrals, taupe (if you want to call it a fancier version of BROWN!). In winter the landscape is usually BROWN (I refer to it as Texas tan!).

Where am I going with this? Well, if you see the picture of my “neutral” family below – yes she was there when our blessed baby was dedicated and quick to point out I dressed my entire family in “browns!” Too funny. She doesn’t’ let me forget!

Now I’m the one living in a ranch house with the “all” white walls……in my defense, my bedroom is red, guest room is pale yellow, A’s room is ocean blue, T’s room is white because he has so many other fun colors going, S’s room is Scandinavian ice with pinks, greens, etc…….so to my dear friend reading this…..I’m not a neutral person – neither are you! Yes, my rec room is “neutral beige's!” But it still rocks!

Yes, God made browns, neutrals and beige's too! Makes me think of the children's song "Red and Yellow, Brown and White, they are precious in his sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world!" By the way, I love you too!

1 Chronicles 29:2 With all my resources I have provided for the temple of my God—gold for the gold work, silver for the silver, bronze for the bronze, iron for the iron and wood for the wood, as well as onyx for the settings, turquoise, stones of various colors, and all kinds of fine stone and marble—all of these in large quantities.

1 comment:

Dee said...

Hi, Brown and black amd burgandy are the colors of
"Secret Haven" I have always used brown in my decorating. I love country primitive decor and it goes well with it. I enjoy looking at blogs and magazines of vintage homes, with pinks and white and yellow pastel colors, with roses on fences and crystal bowls on tables. I ike it all- but i like the soothing warmth of brown kind of like candle light and a low fire burning in the fire place. Odd thing-when i paint i use bright colors. Have ahappy day. Dee

Popular Posts